US Elections 2020: Trump is displeased with new changes for debate

A solution has been proposed to stall interruptions during the debate that NBC News’s Kristen Welker will moderate. Presidential candidates, Donald Trump and Joe Biden are to be muted alternately while the other speaks. The solution was proposed due to the interruptions seen between candidates during the first presidential debate at Cleveland last month. Candidates will be allowed two minutes to answer questions the moderator will present. The debate is divided into six segments of 15 minutes.

The candidates will be given two minutes to answer the moderator’s questions. During the speaking time, the Commission on Presidential Debates announced on Sunday, the opponent’s microphone will be turned off while the other answers the question.

The two minutes of speaking time is specifically allotted to answering the moderator’s question. After answering the question, the opponents will be allowed to freely engage with each other.

Late Monday, Donald Trump and Joe Biden aides were notified of the changes. Mr. Trump said that he disliked the changes but announced his continued consent to participate in the debate. “I’ll participate, I just think it is very unfair, I will participate, but it’s very unfair that they changed the topics and it is very unfair that again we have an anchor who is totally biased,” he told Air Force One. The campaign acknowledged the inconvenience that the new rules caused both candidates on Monday. “One may think they go too far, and one may think they do not go far enough. We are comfortable that these actions strike the right balance and that they are in the interest of the American people, for whom these debates are held,” the commission said.